Differences between CMIP5 and CMIP6
- Many of the models run at higher spatial resolution (improved representation in i.e. mountain areas).
- And/or include additional processes in more detail (such as active clouds and aerosols).
- Some models have a higher equilibrium climate sensitivity.
- New CMIP evaluation tools to analyze the data.
- Improved infrastructure and documentation.
- New organisation with global collaboration in 21 teams that makes experiments.
- Freedom for research experiments within the IPCC deadline.
- Include SSPs as the emission scenarios.
- Extreme high temperature and precipitation events are projected to become more frequent and intense in CMIP6 simulations. Partially due to the difference in GHG forcing between high emission scenarios and the higher climate sensitivity.
These are some of the differences however, CMIP6 is still being studied.